No kitchen cookware set is complete without a reliable nonstick pan. These frying pans make cooking up anything from steaks to veggies easy with their non-stick sealant. They are also a total breeze to clean. For folks that have grown frustrated with using stainless steel pans or don’t have the room for bulkier items in the kitchen like cast iron skillets, nonstick pans are the perfect compromise. Lightweight, versatile and often available to be purchased on the cheap, the only real question that comes along with nonstick pans are sorting through the endless options available.
The vast majority of nonstick pans are made with a sealant known as “Teflon”. A synthetic chemical, teflon is mostly made up of carbon and fluorine, and gives the pans with nonstick qualities. This coating is added to standard metals that most nonstick pans are produced from. Debate around the safety of using teflon surfaces for cooking has been rampant for years, and there is a vocal group of people who believe the synthetic chemicals that coat the pan can prove hazardous to health. The good news? From what we know, there doesn’t seem to be any adverse health risks linked to teflon sealant. So don’t be uneasy about making the nonstick pan your go-to fryer.
- Triple-ply interior nonstick coating
- Dishwasher safe for easy cleanup
- Oven safe up to 500 degrees
- Low-profile for easy access to toss and flip food
- Stainless steel handle that offers durable lifetime use
A true kitchen staple, the All-Clad set is ideal for searing, browning, and pan-frying everything from eggs to meats. The fry pans feature a flat bottom and flared sides that make tossing foods effortless and allow for easy turning with a spatula. Ideal for cooking with high heat and will help to develop foods with flavor, color, and crisp texture.
These All-Clad pans features Ha1 hard anodized cookware, which gives it the nonstick functionality. Three layers of PFOA-free nonstick coating ensure effortless food release and make cleanup a breeze. Even more, hard anodized nonstick cookware offers dishwasher-safe convenience, induction compatibility, and warp-resistant strength.
Around that core, All-Clad wraps additional layers of polished stainless steel for durability and beauty. The stainless steel handle is permanently riveted in place, ensuring a lifetime of hard use without any worries. This pan is also oven-safe up to 500 degrees, and can be used on all cooktops including conduction.
Designed specifically for commercial kitchens but now being offered to home cooks, the Tramontina non stick pan offers a sturdy, durable aluminum base and a rugged nonstick surface that will last a long time. The nonstick coating is PFOA-free, and the pan’s satin finish is designed to help prevent food stains.
The pan comes with an attached steel handle that’s riveted directly to the pan base. That means no need to tighten bolts or nuts that come loose during use. The handle is covered with silicone which is a huge plus that will be able to protect your hands from heat, but it also comes off if you want to toss the pan in the oven. While this pan is oven-safe, be sure to keep it under 400 degrees. The entire pan is NSF-Certified and approved for us in professional kitchens meaning it’ll be a workhorse at home.
This is a 10-inch frying pan, which is large enough for most meals. However, if you regularly cook for a familiar you may want to go for a larger 12-inch pan that can hold more food.
- Constructed from durable ceramic on aluminum engineering
- CopperSlide technology for nonstick surface
- Easy to clean and dishwasher safe
- Comes with helper handle to easily move pan
Simple, sleek, and affordable, FaberWare makes some seriously impressive nonstick pans. Around since the 1900’s, when S.W. Farber made his first tin and copper cookware, Farberware has remained committed to making everyday cooking easier for generations of home cooks.
Farberware Glide Copper Ceramic is constructed from fast and even-heating aluminum. These versatile frying pans boasts their CopperSlide technology for effortless nonstick food release and easy cleanup. The copper ceramic nonstick is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning, and the fry pan handles provide a comfortable, confident grip to flip, fry, and saute with ease. A huge advantage to the pan is making it oven safe up to 350°F for cooktop to oven versatility. The frying pans also feature a flared rim that makes it easy to pour out cooking sauces and liquids, and is backed by a lifetime warranty.
If you like Faberwares CopperSlide technology the company offers a whole host of pans, pots, and other kitchen items to keep your kitchen stocked.
- Stone-derived coating from Germany
- Eco-friendly pan
- Hardened scratch-resistant coating
- Made out of durable heavy-gauge aluminum
- Available in a variety of colors
If you’re looking for modern and functional kitchenware, Ozeri is the place. A speciality manufacturer for the modern home, their products are super trendy without sacrificing effectiveness. Many of their products feature a hardened scratch-resistant coating that is super easy to clean.
The Ozeri stone earth pan is derived from a custom-formulated stone coating from Germany and delivers non-stick performance while remaining absolutely free of toxic substances. The pans are 100% free of APEO, GenX, PFBS, PFOS, PFOA, and the lesser known chemicals NMP and NEP.
We love their ceramic frying pans, which are available in 3 different sizes; 8, 10, and 12 inches. Their durable frying pans consistently excel, and they’re known to push the envelope with cutting edge design and materials. The pan is also available in a variety of colors allowing you to get the right one that fits your kitchen design.
T-fal has been a go-to brand for home cooks for decades at this point, and the company continues to innovate on their designs. The T-fal Hard Anodized Titaniam Nonstick Pan is developed for professional kitchens but is a great workhorse in the home. The interior is made with a specially-designed finish to resist scratching, making it safe to use with metal unlike most nonstick pans. The pans also feature superior and longer lasting non stick coating, an anti warping, even heat base and patented thermo spot technology.
This pan is also save to use on the stovetop as well as in the oven, despite the padded handle It’s made from oven-safe materials, so there is no need to remove it. The handle itself is riveted in place so it remains sturdy and lasts a long time. The T-fal is also known for it’s Thermo-Spot – a unique heat indicator technology that shows when the pan is perfectly preheated and ready to begin cooking.
This 10.5-inch frying pan is good for most meals when cooking for a few people. However, if you have a larger family and want a bigger pan there is a 12.5-inch version that may be better for you.
- Hard Anodized that is dense, nonporous and highly wear-resistant
- Quantanium nonstick interior is reinforced with titanium
- Cool Grip handles are solid stainless steel
- Limited lifetime warranty
Cuisinart products are inspired by French kitchens and have been around for over 30 years. The company is committed to using top quality and innovating on products to perform everyday kitchen tasks.
The Cuisinart Chef’s Classic Non-Stick Hard Anodized skillets have sloped sides and wide flat bottoms for frying, sautéing, or browning. An extremely durable exterior comes with a smooth, hard anodized finish creates a look of professional elegance to complement any kitchen. Designed from the inside out for today’s healthy lifestyles, this collection is constructed with 100% aluminum-free Quantanium nonstick cooking surface reinforced with titanium.
The pan is offered in a variety of sizes from 8in, 10in, to 12in. From eggs at breakfast to fish, chicken, or steak at dinnertime, the 8-inch open skillet is a great all-round performer when cooking for one or two people.
- Nonstick cookware that browns, braises, sears and deglazes.
- Cooks with little to no oil
- Artisan-made in Denmark with a limited lifetime warranty.
SCANPAN is a family-owned business based in Denmark, one of the world’s leading producers of PFOA-free nonstick products. The company has manufactured high-quality Danish cookware for over 3 decades and can be found all over the world.
The Stratanium nonstick has a unique textured surface using haptic technology thta creates exceptional release and searing on commercial-grade nonstick. It consists of 5 layers in which hard particles and wave-like layers interlock to reinforce the nonstick layer. The material is harder than steel and the texture combined result in incredible searing and browning and making cleaning effortless.
The pan is offered in a variety of sizes or together as an 11 piece set.
- A diamond-infused nonstick coating that is toxin free
- Induction supported and oven safe up to 600 degrees
- Will never warp, wobble, or scratch over time
- Dishwasher safe for easy cleanup
GreenPan is a Belgian brand with an international reputation of making high quality ceramic cookware. Upon discovering that traditional non-stick pans released toxins when overheated, they set out to create a new alternative. Their solution is a ceramic coating called Thermolon, which is toxic free, scratch resistant, and durable coating that is safe for cooking.
The Greenpan Valencia Pro collection all feature a hard anodized durability, available for all stovetops, including induction. Each pan is finished with a Magneto base for superior induction efficiency and fantastic performance on any stovetop. It is also oven safe up to 600 degrees, which is significantly higher than most other non stick pans that range from 400-500 degrees.
The Greenpan Valencia Pro collection offer ever shape and size you can envision in your kitchen, each with the same diamond enhanced ceramic nonstick surface.
- For Use on All Cooktops, Including Induction
- Stainless Construction with Aluminum Alloy Core
- Eternal Nonstick is PFOA and PTFE Free
- Metal Utensil Safe
Viking, often known for kitchen appliances, brings state-of-the-art design to your kitchen and professional results to your dinner table. Around for more than 40 years, they are the American standard for the modern luxury kitchen.
The Viking Contemporary Stainless Steel Nonstick collection combines a modern, Windsor pan inspired design with the exceptional performance of 3-Ply stainless steel cookware. The conical sides are angled out to provide more surface area for evaporation, while the walls retain more heat resulting in faster cooking times. The aluminum core provides exceptional heat transfer throughout the cookware, while the magnetic stainless steel exterior makes it incredibly durable and safe for all cooktops, including induction.
If you are a fan of the Viking quality when it comes to appliances you will love their cookware. Both the look and feel of these pans deserve the price tag and you can bet they are built to last a lifetime.
- Signature Sear Nonstick interior that is PFOA-free
- Crafted from heavy-gauge hard-anodized aluminum
- Supports any utensil including metal whisks, spoons and spatulas won’t scratch
- Easy to clean and dishwasher safe
Calphalon is a leading producer of premium-quality cookware, bakeware, cutlery, and appliances for the home chef since 1963. The cookware has been enthusiastically embraced by the professional culinary community with the at home versions following suit. When buying a Calphalon you can count on it for quality, durable, and innovative design.
The Calphalon Signature Nonstick Omelette Pan combines nonstick convenience with the cooking performance and durability you’d normally find only in stainless steel cookware. Made with a Sear Nonstick surface to evenly sear, brown, sauté, and seal in juices of meats, seafood, and vegetables, this pan is ideal for preparing omelettes, eggs, and a range of other recipes. The pan’s nonstick surface is durable, so you can cook with metal spatulas, spoons, and whisks. It is also oven and dishwasher safe.
All Calphalon pans offer full lifetime warranty so you can be confident in your purchase.
How to select the right pan size
When it comes to choosing the right pan for you, size does matter. Think about your cooking habits and how much you will typically want to make.
Note there is no one right answer. Often times it’s best to have a few pans on hand for different occasions but here are the most common sizes and how much each can make.
- 6 inch pan: Good enough for single servings but often times may be too small for most meals.
- 8 inch pan: An essential sized pan that is a must in every kitchen. Ideal for cooking for one or two people. If there was one pan size to have in your kitchen this is it.
- 10 inch pan: A better size pan if you vary between cooking small meals and larger ones. Good enough to serve between 2-4 people a 10inch is a very commonly sized skilled.
- 12 inch pan: A great pan for a family or if you enjoy the one pan type meals. Offers plenty of room to toss and cook food but can also be too big for certain tasks.
Selecting the right pan size can make a huge different in not only your cooking but also how you use your kitchen. Find out below more information to make sure you are making the right selection.
Types of Non Stick Cookware Coating
When it comes to non stick coating in cookware, there are many choices of material on the market today. But how just well do each type of coating work and how safe are they to use?
Here are the most common types of non stick coating you will find
- Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) Coating: A polymerized perfluoroethylene, also known as Teflon, a waxy white material that is commonly used to make pans nonstick.
- Ceramic Coating: A mineral-based coating that is made from a mixture of silica (a component of sand), oxygen, binders, color pigments, and reinforcing agents.
- Silicone Coating: A plastically, flexible, coating, that is non-toxic and nonreactive to all foods.
- Porcelain Enamel Coating: Powered glass that is melted to coat the base of a pan.
- Seasoned Cast Iron Coating: A thin layer of cooking oil heated into the pan to provide a non stick surface.
- Anodized Aluminum Coating: A processed reactive metal that is smoothed to the surface of aluminum.
- Superhydrophobic Coating: An experimental spray coating that is being tested to use as a cooking surface.
Which type of coating to choose is up to the individual using it. While Teflon is regarded as the most popular and one of the best at ensuring non stick, the risk of toxic chemicals might make another option such as ceramic or porcelain the better choice.
Read more below about the different types of non stick cookware coating to decide which one might be best for you.
Different Types Of Nonstick Cookware Coating
Care and Maintenance
Non stick pans more than others rely on proper care to last long. It’s all too common to get brand new nonstick cookware, only for it to erode and become unusable in a matter of months.
Here are some quick tips on how to treat all your non stick cookware.
- Lay off the Cooking Sprays: Cooking sprays create a build up on your pan and reduces the pan’s ability to adequately heat up.
- Hand wash when possible: Dishwashers can get too hot for nonsitck pans and warp the shape.
- Season occasionally: Use cooking oil to help coat and fill in the ridges
- Avoid metal utensils: Metal can scratch your pan so best to use plastic or wood utensils
- Use on low or medium heat: Too high heat can warp your pan so try to heat it up gradually
- Never plunge into water: Metal going from high heat to being cooled with water can cause “thermal shock” and wear down your nonstick surface.
- Store properly: Try not to stack your pans and cause scratching by finding the right space or getting a rack.
Read more below about how to properly maintain your non stick cookware and follow the steps to ensure it lasts a long time.
How To Maintain Non Stick Cookware