A Buyers Guide To Cutting Boards
Cutting Boards are kitchen products that are highly valuable when it comes to preparing meals and food items. They are ideal in helping to maintain any countertops and surfaces, ensuring that they stay unscathed when chopping or slicing through food products. The last thing anyone wants is to ruin expensive and visually appealing granite surfaces with chips or scratches. Enter the cutting board. These products are absolutely essential for helping keep the blades of your cutlery well-functioning and sharp. In addition to being a buffer, cutting boards also help create tension when attempting to cut through slippery items, which decreases the chance of any accidental cuts your hands or fingers that could occur with an errant knife slip.
Types of Cutting Boards
Cutting boards come in a variety of materials and sizes to choose from. Wood, plastic, bamboo, glass, and even stone or slate are all available and can be found in just about any kitchen.
However, different material can have huge advantages and disadvantages. It’s important to choose the board thats right for you and even more than one.
Here are the most common types of boards on the market today.
- Plastic: Quick, easy, and cheap option that avoids absorbing bacteria so great for meats and fish. Also a breeze to clean so always good to have around.
- Bamboo: Environmentally friendly choose due to its sustainability. The boards absorb less liquid than wood while still giving the quality you can expect from a sturdy chopping block.
- Wood: Aside from the aesthetic appeal, wood boards are heavy and very forgiving to knives. A good board will be extremely durable and serve as your center chopping station for your kitchen.
- Glass: Amongst the most sanitary these boards are perfect for prepared foods by hand like kneading dough. Can be extremely tough on knives so use with caution.
- Slate: Very stunning and quickly emerging as a trendy option. Great for charcuterie or spreads but more for show and not a serious surface to cut on.
To find out more information about which board is for you and our favorite picks read more below
Different Types Of Cutting Boards
The utility of a cutting board can not be denied. These products are often an afterthought when it comes to proper research and preparation when looking to make a purchase.
However, there are a few notable brands that make the selection process easy. Brands that are well known to have created a consistent, quality, and durable product that will last a long time.
When looking for a cutting board, here are some brands to keep in mind.
Notable Brands of Cutting Boards
Maintenance & Care
Keeping a well maintained and clean cutting board is essential, as they can easily become a breeding ground for bacteria and grime. Taking care of your board will not only extend its life but also ensure you get the best use out of it.
Here are some tips and tricks to make sure your board last a long time
How To Care And Maintain Cutting Boards
Where To Shop
Cutting boards are available at almost any home and kitchen store from Bed Bath & Beyond, Sur La Table, to Target and Walmart. However, there are a ton of speciality stores online that we recommend checking out for a broad range of products. Here are some of our favorites:
Cuttingboard.com – Specializing in unique cutting boards and butcher blocks there are many to choose from at reasonable prices.
Brooklynbutcherblocks.com – Hand crafted in Brooklyn, NY these speciality blocks delivery quality without the premium price tag.
For more of our favorite products visit our Kitchen Essentials Buying Guide.